Sunday, June 8, 2008

International Nathan Day


The American School in Japan

Class of 2008!
We are so proud of Nathan! He graduated from the American School in Japan yesterday at a wonderful Commencement ceremony. He looked fabulous in his dress clothes and cap and gown. When it was all over, we all went out to dinner to celebrate.

I am fiercely proud of Nathan and am certain that we should keep an eye on him to see where he ends up. I am sure he will be wildly successful at whatever he chooses to do, and will live a fulfilling life, completely on his terms. He is still a quiet and deep pond compared to his noisy splashy brothers. He has always been that way. I remember as a little baby, he was all eyes and ears watching the whirling dervish that was Chris his big brother. More recently, I have enjoyed his very dry and clever wit. He doesn't talk a lot, but you better be listening when he does. He has enjoyed exploring his artistic gifts this year and made some wonderful ceramic dishes and works of art on the wheel at school. He has also become a proficient ukulele player, and has been dabbling in sketching. I know Nathan is glad to be done with high school and is looking forward to some unique and thrilling challenges ahead in New Zealand. He will be participating in a semester of wilderness training through the National Outdoor Leadership School. (Bring on the kayaking!) He is also getting his braces off this week and has promised to dazzle us with his big white smile.


I know that Nathan enjoyed the anonymity of being a senior at ASIJ. No one knew who his Mom or family was, or had seen him grow through elementary school. Part of me was glad Nathan had the chance to create himself from scratch this year. Part of me felt kind of desolate at the school functions where I knew no one, and no one knew me. I felt quite lonely at those times. How different for all of us this year. More important is Nathan's assessment: "It was a good year!"


So to my graduating senior (and forever peanut): Congratulations, Nathan! Here's to new beginnings!

No comments: