Thursday, September 13, 2007

Good News

Ta Da! The horrendous heat and humidity has broken! Yesterday when I got home from my first haircut abroad, I gleefully turned OFF the air conditioning that has been running almost non-stop for a month, and ran around opening windows like a crazy woman. Last evening, I sat on the floor, next to the sliding glass door in our living room and read the paper while the cool breeze wafted over me. I was in heaven. We slept with the windows open. A first. Early in the evening it was pretty noisy, but later it got quiet and I don't remember being disturbed by noise at all.
Let me tell you about my hair cut. I made my first appointment at the Tokyo American Club, partly because I knew where it was, partly because I knew they could speak English, but mostly because I'm a big weenie about my hair. The walk to TAC is about 10 minutes from the subway station, and I celebrated the cooler temperature outside yesterday by wearing jeans for the first time. (Most women don't wear shorts here, they dress in long sleeves in 90 degrees, wear nylons IN THE SUMMER, and generally wear more clothes than I could possibly stand- our thermostats must be set differently) I was worried about being late, so I really booked up the hill to make the appointment on time. I was quite warmed up when I got there, right on time, and rather wishing I had stuck to shorts. They were ready for me as soon as I walked in the door. I deposited my earrings in a little box with a lid. The shampoo girl (for she was young) wrapped me first in a green cotton coat much like a hospital gown. It had a fold over front and tied on the side. Then at the sink, she put plastic around my shoulders to keep me dry. Then finally I was covered in the usual- the large, ties around your neck sheet of some sort. Oh my goodness, but I was hot. I had already been quite warm from the walk up the hill, and now they were wrapping me up like a sausage. When she was ready to shampoo my hair, she put a velvet lap blanket over my legs- which up until this day had been happily bare and free. I knew my limitations and politely (I hope) asked to take it off, and explained that I didn't care if my jeans got wet, which they wouldn't because of all the other stuff that was already on me. After a nice long and thorough scrubbing, it was time to get the cut. My hair was cut by a very nice, very gentle man named Hiro. As you already know, I love to chat with strangers, so we had a very nice conversation. The most interesting fact I learned was that there are more dogs in Tokyo than children. He explained that Tokyo is not an easy place to raise a child, so many people chose to have dogs instead. My feeling concerning that kind of choice is at least children eventually learn to flush and put themselves out. (that is, if you are one of those lucky parents I envy) Hiro gave me the exact- I mean exact perfect hair cut that I had described in great detail to him. He was very slow and careful. It's short, but it's the cut I wanted. Here's the best part of all. AFTER the cut, they took me back to the sink, shook my hair out and rinsed it AGAIN, to release all the little cut pieces that you usually run home to shower out. After the rinse, a blow dry, a great style, THEN- a shoulder massage. When my eyes rolled back into my skull, he was concerned that I didn't like it- I laughed and told him he'd never get me OUT of the chair. Hiro explained that the shoulder massage is "very Japanese." Bring it on.
Today I had a Furoshiki welcome lunch with an acquaintance who gave me about 10 lbs of advertisements, magazines and information about living in Tokyo. It is similar to the "Welcome Wagon" visits that used to go on when I was a kid. Do people still do that? I have so much to learn about this city.
Saturday night is Nathan's 17th birthday dinner out on the town. I'm guessing I can find a place for us to eat in one of the many guides I now own. Tomorrow night I have been invited to accompany Robin and some other couples from Corning for dinner and karaoke. The last (and first) time I did karaoke was with Tburg school colleagues in July at an establishment in Hector called "Big Johnson's." It was much fun. Melissa and Penny did me a favor by taking us all out there. At least I know what to expect, although I bet the local regulars won't be as colorful as the ones at Big J's.
This weekend is one of the weekends when they take their little local neighborhood shrines out on long timbers, with many people lifting, and jostle them through the streets. This is accompanied by lots of shouting, singing, noise making and revelry. It's a competition between neighborhoods, and a show of strength. I will get pictures and more information to share.
Take Care.

No comments: