Sunday, September 2, 2007

Corn, etc...

Hi Folks,

The same day we encountered the shrine, we also came upon this futuristic sculpture on the front of one of the buildings.

This just in: I am now able to negotiate the subways on my own! I've made it home twice from different points in the city, and have even had to change trains, successfully! I'm trying to scope out the good places to take visitors to shop, walk and see the sights. It will probably take me another month before I'm ready to take a visitor around. But then--bring it on!!

I've had the opportunity to meet some women from the neighborhood who go walking every morning. I accompanied them on Friday and learned more about the area and how to get around. As we walk, they give tips, advice and great suggestions on where to go to shop and eat. I have gotten much more comfortable just walking around being me, the slightly large, grey haired "gaijin." Going to the grocery store is kind of fun now. No longer is it the scary, nervous trip it was last week. In addition, there is a nice man who drives a fruit and vegetable truck whom I've met. Several days a week he parks right outside our house and knocks on the door. The first day I went out to look, I needed groceries any way, and bought sweet corn, a red pepper, a melon, the biggest apple you've ever seen and a strange looking pear. Well, the corn was the best corn I'VE EVER EATEN. It was amazing! So the next time he came, I took my phrase book out and tried to tell him that the "corn was good." I think I got the corn part right, but the rest made him look confused. I asked him how to say all the things in the truck, and he kindly and patiently gave me pronunciation lessons on all the items in the truck. He also helped me count out the money. Of course, it was all too much too fast, but I enjoyed the interaction and he was very nice. At the end I thanked him and said in Japanese, "See you later." I think he was surprised.

I will be taking Japanese lessons soon, either in a class or with a tutor who comes to the house. Haven't decided which yet. I'm going to try to get into a class that starts Tuesday called Taiko Drumming. You've probably seen pictures of it. The drums are HUGE and it's an aerobic workout just to play them! Do a google search on it...The music teacher in me wants to be able to bring back some authentic drumming experience. I will also have the opportunity to rehearse and perform the Brahms Requiem with the Tokyo International Singers. Rehearsals start in a week. It will be a great way to meet people in the community, not just expatriates. That particular requiem has some extra special meaning to me, so I am looking forward to finally learning and performing it.

Watch the weather! There is a typhoon heading our way. One of the meteorologists I saw on the CNNj said they thought it's path may be bringing it right through Tokyo! Such excitement, and we've only been here for 2 weeks!!

Nathan's 17th birthday is the 15th of September, and we are planning a trip to Fuji-san that day. We are going at the very end of the hiking season. If the weather cooperates, we will hike part way up, late in the day, and sleep in a hut on the mountain. Then we will rise a couple of hours before dawn, hike the rest of the way, and time our arrival with the sunrise. Keep your fingers crossed. Lots of things have to be in our favor for this to work. If we manage to do it, I will have pictures galore to send you. If not, we'll go and take pictures of the mountain, anyway so you'll win either way! Happy Birthday, Nato. Nato is his Japanese name at school.
Our names are pronounced Arisu, Robin, Naezan, and Massu Purosu.

I hope this finds you well! Ja-mata! (See you later!)

No comments: