Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Elton John at the Budokan!

Let me tell you how wonderful the Elton John concert was tonight. He played at the famous martial arts arena, the Nippon Budokan. The Beatles were the first western rock group to play music there in the 1960's, and at the time it was very controversial. The Japanese fans of martial arts felt that bringing western rock to their arena would somehow taint their beloved space. Well, after the Beatles opened the door, they were followed by a host of other huge performers including Bob Dylan, Ozzie Ozbourne, KISS, Linda Ronstadt, Celine Dion, Beyonce, and the list goes on. There are many "Live at the Budokan" recordings out there. It's a huge space that seats 15 thousand people. Anyway- on to the concert!!

Elton John came out on stage with a bright red tux dinner jacket with long tails, a frilly white shirt and bright red matching shoes. It was just his grand piano and him- plus a little bit of synth strings and bass that a couple of folks added from beyond the stage. We were way up in the "nose bleed" section, so it was impossible to see anything up close because there were no large screens or cameras or recording/projection systems. However, his presence was engrossing, and I hardly ever took my eyes off him, or even moved for the 2 and 1/2 hours that he played and sang. He started with "Your Song," his first hit from the early 70's. It was so beautiful (still) that I had tears running down my face. That song stirred up a wild mix of emotions in me-nostalgia, sadness, homesickness, happiness, joy...I was transported by his music to my youth, and those crazy days when as a middle schooler I felt all those emotions in every 5 minutes of every day! He ended the concert with "Don't let the Sun Go Down on Me." And then came back out for "I'm Still Standing," and finally "The Circle of Life," from the Lion King. What a finish! So powerful! So moving! What a pianist! I am completely in awe and totally jazzed that I got to see him. Matt was ecstatic. In between the start and finish he played a bunch of oldies but goodies (I'll list as many as I can remember): Candle in the Wind, Tiny Dancer, Sorry Seems to be the Hardest Word, Bennie and the Jets, Honky Cat, Roy Rogers, Ballad of the Boy with Red Shoes, Sacrifice, I Guess That's Why They Call it the Blues, Philadelphia Freedom, Daniel, and my all time favorite, Rocket Man. Just look at that list. He took lots of interludes in the songs, and played a couple of pieces that were just for piano. His voice is not quite what it used to be- but I could forgive him a few lowered/altered notes- geez the man is 60 years old now.

There were several people who were with me in spirit during the concert- Sarah, my sis-in-law because she and I talked earlier in the day, and I know that she could have sat there and sung along with almost every song, remembering every word. Kelley, my college room-mate and buddie, because she and I wore out my Yellow Brick Road album in our dorm rooms and apartments. Chris, my oldest son, because his head would have exploded with the thrill of listening to Sir Elton Play for 2 and 1/2 hours, and Anne and Bill, because Bill took me to a concert this past summer that took me down the same kind of memory lane. Remember The Little River band? Plus A and B would have been right there singing all the words too.

So every where I go it seems I take all of you with me.
If you ever get the chance to see Sir Elton, DO IT.

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone. Make a list of all the things you are thankful for.
Cheers to all.

No comments: