Sunday, April 20, 2008

It is wonderful to have visitors from home.


So why haven't YOU been over to Japan to visit?

Nadine, famous T-burg 8th grade science teacher was here in Tokyo this past week. She was invited to come along with her brother Mike who happened to be visiting for business. It was a total spur of the moment decision on her part, as I only found out she was coming on Saturday. They arrived Tuesday afternoon, and stayed until Sunday late. In those 4 and a half days, we walked MANY miles, ate great food, visited several shrines, gardens and museums, wandered in and out of shops, looked around department stores, rode all over the metro and even took in some Kabuki Theater and a Taiko performance. We drank lots of coffee, for the days were full and action-packed, and Nadine and Mike were fighting jet lag. Of course, we sampled local beer and some sake, too!

I can't vouch for them, but I have to tell you what fun I had. We laughed a lot, and even though it was rainy, we forged ahead with umbrellas, and didn't let a little extra humidity dampen our spirits.

Each morning, when I met Nadine, in the subway or in the hotel lobby, it was always such a treat to be greeted by her smiling face. It made me antsy to get home for the summer to see all the other smiling faces I have missed so much.

I sure hope the 8th graders are kind to Nadine this week. Monday morning is going to be a cold hard reality for her.


No comments: