Tuesday, November 17, 2009

The Kendall- my new favorite hotel.




The Kendall is a hotel in Cambridge, right near the MIT campus. It was built in 1894 to house the horses and fire wagons of the Cambridge Fire Company no. 7. The fire house served all of the surrounding Kendall area. The men who worked there considered themselves to be the black sheep of the Boston Fire Department. I'm not sure why, but that's the lore. There is now a restaurant in the lobby of the hotel called "The Black Sheep" in homage to these men. Matt and I ate breakfast there, right in front of one of the large doors that opened to the street. The rest of the hotel is decorated in period antiques and displays of antiques. Late Friday evening, at the end of our long drive, I walked in an immediately loved the place. There is parking outside and under the hotel, and the people there were completely friendly and accommodating. They were completely cool with me checking out on Saturday, but keeping my car parked for the day while we visited Emerson College. Plus- Hurricane Ida rained on us all day, and they loaned us an umbrella. If Matt ends up at Emerson, I've got a home away from home only 3 train stops away from campus. Where else could I find brightly colored cotton patchwork quilts on a King sized bed?

The Kendall is listed in a registry of Historic Hotels. Just a delightful accidental find in Boston.

No comments: