Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Day 2- Heddon-on-the-wall to Wall





Day 2- Heddon-on-the-wall to Wall.

Tonight, my feet and legs are screaming at me. I am in Hadrian's Hotel in the town of Wall. We had a day of walking in the countryside, and it was breathtaking. The hills, the wild-flowers, the stone buildings ( we even saw a castle off in the distance) the sheep, their poo...it was all so Old World British. Rolling grasslands are hot and steamy under the bright sun and humid skies. We shared our path with cows and sheep today. Climbed over numerous stone walls- using stairs and steps and went through too many kissing gates to count. We kept being thrilled by what we saw. Helps keep your mind off your feet.

After a late-morning break at the Robin Hood Inn and Pub, we began again, and had been walking about a mile, when I discovered that my camera was missing!! I roared on back, was deliriously happy to find it, and then went roaring on back to try to catch up with Robin. I knew Nathan would be miles and miles ahead, and I knew also that I didn't need to hurry, but I did- I dropped the hammer and really pushed it. Much to my agony tonight. When I finally caught up with Rob, I was starving, so we found some not so great shade and ate the lunches that Paula's mother had made us. Shortly after we found Nathan waiting for us on top of a hill, standing on a large boulder. From a distance he looked like a tiny statue. We mainly stayed together later today. A rain storm around 3:00 was rejuvenating and restorative. Hope my boots dry out by tomorrow.

Sore legs, sore feet. I need sleep. We all have had a long soak in a large hot bath, have had a dinner (Have I already talked about how difficult it is to just order a salad here??) and are ready to pass out in a meat-stupor exhaustion. Today's pedometer reading: 41,561 steps.

No comments: