Saturday, June 25, 2011

A long dang day

If I recall correctly, and I'm not sure I can right at the moment, I think I got up at 6:00 on Friday morning. It's now 7:44 on Saturday evening, and I haven't gone to bed yet. I feel like I'm on a boat. My head swims, and I feel like the world is rocking back and forth, floating, as if on a sailboat at it's mooring. This is nothing new. I always experienced this sensation when I reached my destination to or from Asia. But weirdly, this trip took longer than getting half-way around the world to Tokyo.

Elmira to Detroit, Detroit to Atlanta, Atlanta to Manchester (we were delayed almost 2 hours by spectacular thunder and lightning storms) from Manchester, a 3 hour train ride to Newcastle, and finally a metro trip- about 25 minutes to Whitley Bay- right on the ocean. We arrived at Oak Tree Lodge around 3 in the afternoon a full 26 hours since we left home in the 'Burg.

Here are things (so far) that strike me as being very much the same as home: the vegetation, the rolling green hills and farmland, the cows, people speak English, the train system is very much like the Japanese system.

Here are the things that are different that I've noticed so far: the toilet paper is in a dispenser like facial tissue- in little squares, instead of a roll. So it's like pulling kleenex out instead of rolling the roll. The architecture is quaint and old. The giant stone farm houses dot the lush green hills in style. Closer to town, there are brick town homes and apartments everywhere. The chimneys are almost identical in their size and placement and they were pretty stunning against the dramatic sky. People speak English.

I have been lost for words and stupefied several times today when someone has spoken to me. I think it's a combination of jet lag, water in my ear drums and the speed and pitch at which they speak that is confounding me. I know I'll get better at this during our stay, but in the meantime, I'm afraid we are making Americans look pretty idiotic as we sit and stare blankly at their questions like, "You on Holiday?" and "Just take it out the top." (referring to why I couldn't get through a turn style at the metro gate. It wouldn't let me pass so the attendant said something unintelligible and then took the card out and handed it to me. All the while I know I was looking like someone with a few cards shy of a complete deck.)

We managed to doze, squirm and drag our way to the B and B, and then went off to walk the 2 miles to the town of Tynemouth. Off in the distance we saw a ruined Priory and a castle, when we got closer, we discovered that the grounds closed at 4:00. But we were starving and ate at a place that would make vegetarians run screaming into the street. I guess the Brits really love their meat. During a lovely full-bellied stroll back to our accommodations, Nate and I stuck our feet into the cold North Sea, we all saw a an amazing rainbow, and watched the drama of the clouds and blue sky in front of us.

Now we are trying to stay awake at least until 9:30 or 10:00 and then we will crash. Our breakfast is slated for 7:00 tomorrow and then we are on our way for our first 15 mile hike. It should be a sunny day, and our trek will take us mainly through city areas- and a little bit rough ones at that. We are excitedly awaiting the days when we will be out in the beautiful rolling countryside.
I am having trouble posting pics, so if you are interested in our photos, check out my Facebook page, until I can figure it out.

This evening, jet lag made me think signs that said "TO LET" on them said "TOILET" on them. I was ranting on about how landlords could possibly rent apts without toilets in them, when my long suffering husband pretty much told me to shut up. They have been making toilet jokes at my expense ever since.

No comments: