Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Um...OMG


Today is the first day that GeoTherm is here to start work on the project. We spent a good deal of the morning walking through rooms, with tape measures, looking at either chimney location to determine the best pathway for ducts from the basement to the attic. We chit-chatted and it all seemed so...light and airy. Innocuous, really. I discussed the pros and cons of which chimney to demolish with Mark and side-kick, and we even called Robin to chat about it. It was decided that the brick chimney would go, because we had already removed a portion of it from the attic a few years back (awful job) so taking it all the way down wouldn't require a roof patch. Plans were made, I called and ordered a dumpster and merrily went to Ithaca to meet a new friend for lunch. We had a great time and I think I have a kindred spirit in Kathy who lived in Japan.

Upon my approach to the house a few hours later I spy Bob's truck, Lap's car (uh oh) and the GeoTherm guys all parked in the driveway. As I parked, Lap was coming out of the basement with a bucket of bricks and other debris and dumping it IN THE DRIVEWAY. Really guys? BEFORE the dumpster arrives? Upon some deliberation, it was decided (and I strongly concurred) that the demolition of the chimney would wait until tomorrow, and that gaining access to the walls wherein the chimney lies would be a better idea. (Lap's idea) To give Lap some credit...he is the one who suggested plastic to contain some downstairs dust, and also to remove pictures hanging on the stair wall. My dear brother-in-law Lap is not a bull-in-the-china-shop kinda guy like my husband often is in these situations. Glad he's on board.


Then immediately they started punching holes through walls. Upstairs there is lath and plaster, and as they were wrecking, I was rolling up rugs, putting away pictures, and covering things with sheets. I couldn't move fast enough. Good thing I got home when I did. This is going to be MUCH messier and destructive than I had bargained for.


The oil burning steam furnace left the house this morning, and after I was helping them figure out where the duct work was going to go, and they were talking in the basement, I almost asked them if they had ever encountered a house they COULDN'T retro-fit, as I felt a mild panic in my gut.

This is a stunning opportunity for growth for me, an exercise in letting go and enjoying dirt, chaos, noise and a disruption of the sanctuary that is my home and personal space. Let the games begin.

No comments: