Sunday, February 17, 2008

Monday, stuck with Mamma Ploss


Today is Monday and after my yoga class (I can really feel myself getting stronger and more flexible!!) I took Trevor and Art out on the town. First, we went to Tokyo Tower. Loved it. Beautiful gorgeous clear Buddha-blue sky, and no crowds, no lines, no waiting. It was great. From our great height we could see the American Club right close by, Robin's work building, the Diet building (seat of Japan's government), Yoyogi Park and the Imperial grounds. Mount Fuji was stunning today. I think they were impressed by the enormity of Tokyo. After the tower, we headed up to Asakusa and had lunch. We found a place where lunch cost the boys about $5.50 and mine was about $3.80. Yum. Art is not crazy for sushi or seaweed in his soup it seems. He said at lunch today, "I like to see the ocean, hear the ocean, and smell the ocean, I just don't like to eat the ocean."

I took the boys shopping for gifts to take home and we had fun poking in and out of all the shops up there.

When we made it to the Shrine, it was shortly after 2:00, and the monks were chanting. This was something I had never heard before. It was very interesting to hear. They slide chromatically up and down by half steps a lot as they sing, and at one point they all threw stuff at the alter. I think they may have been throwing strips of paper or flower petals, because these things fluttered and fell. Then one of the monks started beating the huge Taiko drum (Trevor called it the Donkey Kong Drum) and the chanting changed, becoming more rhythmic, pulsating with the drum beat. The place was very busy with people praying and tossing coins. Trevor tossed a coin for me and one for him today.

I have to report that Art and Trevor made excellent good-will ambassadors today. On the train, Trevor hopped up from his seat to make sure an older woman with a cane could sit. When I looked at him and thanked him, he said, "Not all Americans are thoughtless and lazy." Then Art stood and offered his seat to a woman who declined it, but was also impressed by his good manners. I was very proud of them both today. We had a good time.

They have gone back out with Matthew before supper. I suspect they will sleep well tonight!

No comments: