Thursday, February 28, 2008

There's a hint of Spring in the air...


I found another lovely park with the help of my friend Connie. We went to Kichijoji, a little farther West than we are, and ate in a restaurant called "Monk's Food." It's named after Thelonious Monk. They played recorded jazz while we ate, and the place has an impressive cd collection behind the bar. Kichijoji is known apparently for it's jazz music places. And hair salons. We didn't keep count, but we must have walked by dozens of salons!


There is a park in that town called Inokashira Park, and it is very lovely. While walking around in the crisp February air, I noticed a real warmth to the sun. The ducks were swimming about, there were crocus on the ground and blossoms on the trees. I think they were plum blossoms. The cherry blossoms will be out in about a month. It is starting to feel like spring is around the corner. This makes me happy, and also on some level very very frightened. I am worried that the heat will be jacked up too quickly. I am used to a fickle spring, one that teases and makes you beg for it. I'm worried about the possibility of having to turn on the AC in a month, and having to use my little sweat towels again...When you ask Tokyoites about their weather, they always answer in vauge terms, never a straight answer. Like I said, it makes me nervous.

1 comment:

Gordon Bonnet said...

Yesterday morning it was five below zero -- I'm looking _forward_ to weather that will make me sweat!!!