Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Tuesday, February 19: Chris and Trevor's birthday!


This was the first time in 20 years that I have been away from my firstborn on his birthday. 20 years. I told Chris he needed to tell all his friends about how there's no way his mother looks old enough to have a 20-year old! Of course, he just laughed. I called him around 6:00 p.m. on his birthday. He had really nothing special planned, but there was going to be a hockey game on, and he and some friends were probably going to a bar to watch it. Sounds like fun to me. Happy Birthday, Chris Ploss. I miss you more than you know!


A little closer to home was Trevor's birthday. Unfortunately, my day was completely booked with a meeting in the morning and a 3 hour Taiko class. It was a long day. I sent Arturo and Trevor out yesterday armed with their Suica cards (for the trains), Robin's cell phone, and my favorite map. They were feeling like some adventure as it was another gorgeous day, and Matt was still in school. I had my cell phone in my pocket all day yesterday, in case they tried to call, but never heard a word. I DID hear about their exploration when I got home, however. At about 5:30 when I arrived, the boys were home hanging around, playing guitars, watching tv, and shooting the breeze.


Here is their adventure: Art and Trev managed to find the moat and the Imperial Grounds, wandered around the large beautiful gardens, and saw the ruins of an Imperial Palace that completely burned down 17 years after it was built, back in the 1600's (I think). Then- uh oh- we tried this once, they looked for food. There's really NOT MUCH in the way of restaurants near the Imperial Grounds. It's mostly business and government offices. So, in their quest for something to fill their bellies, they got lost. Quite lost in fact. They were looking for a metro station, because they had learned from Matt who got them slightly lost on Sunday, that the metro can take you home pretty easily eventually. But they found some strange line that they took to get to another line, to finally make a connection to get back on OUR line. I am guessing it was a learning experience. They said they wern't scared, just tired, and probably HUNGRY, by the time they got home. Last evening, Trevor and Matt donned their new crazy Tokyo clothes and the 3 of them accompanied by Nathan went to Shibuya for some Korean Barbeque and bowling. That was Trevor's 16th birthday. I'm guessing that will be a birthday he won't soon forget.

No comments: