Wednesday, February 25, 2009

A Night of Music at Stellato



Last night I served as the principal accompanist for the Tokyo International Player's benefit evening called, "Duets."

The benefit venue was a very cool restaurant called Stellato, located on the 3rd floor of a building. This picture was taken at about 4:00 in the afternoon. What you can't see is a large real fireplace in the center of the back which they lit right before the doors opened. It was a lovely touch and the smell of the burning wood fire was pretty wonderful. It's one of those smells that transports me back through time and space and recalls all the wonderful bonfires I have enjoyed with my family and friends.

One of my friends, Patty, who lives in my neighborhood drove me and my piano, stand and piano bench over to the restaurant. We stopped for Starbucks along the way. My treat, to thank her for her trouble. Last year, I bought a case for my full sized keyboard and it rolls, but it is a huge, heavy, inconvenient thing to lug around town. I managed, with a little help from my friends. I must say, I have some pretty wonderful friends here.

So all my theatre friends cleaned themselves up, put on the ritz and performed to the delight of the assembled guests. There were about 70 people who were there for a 5-course dinner and entertainment. I played for 14 of the 20 numbers. I only laid 2 eggs the entire performance, so I am fairly happy with it. There was a great variety of music, lots of show tunes, some jazz, pop, love ballads, comedy...It was actually fun for me, and I got to spend time with some of my favorite FORUM people. (Last spring's production)Hopefully the evening was a financial success and TIP will be able to afford the rights to LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS this Fall. I keep missing out on that one. I really want to do that show. Maybe next year at THS?

Good music, good friends, good cause, good beer (after the show, of course), a good time was had by all.

No comments: