Saturday, February 14, 2009

"The Vegetable Guy"




Here is a picture of our "Vegetable Guy." He parks his vehicular produce store in front of our house Tu-Thu-Sat for about 30 minutes in the early afternoon. Lately, I've missed him, because I've been away from home. He always rings our doorbell but I don't ever answer it. I just go out if I'm home to see what he has. He was very kind to me early on and helped me with my coins and counting in Japanese. He's always cheerful and friendly and uses an abacus on which to do his addition. Today I bought bananas, eggs and a lime for 650 JPY. The biggest apples I've ever seen were on his truck. One of his favorite English expressions is "Oishi! Number One!" ("Oishi" means delicious.) Another bonus besides being completely convenient is that the quality is usually better than that of the the local store. No false advertising there.

No comments: