Friday, March 13, 2009

A Certain Level of Trust



This is not a picture of a car pulling out of a driveway. It is parked. I kid you not. It's parked right at the corner about two blocks below our house. So essentially you are looking down my street from near my house on a cloudy afternoon. But that's not the interesting part to me. Dude, this guy parks his car with the rear in the driveway, and the front sticking easily 5 feet out (probably more) into the street. Not just the street, but the intersection!! Can you imagine what would happen to this car in Metropolitan NY? My Gawwd, but it would be keyed, ticketed, probably smashed by rage-filled taxi drivers and then towed to the pound somewhere near lovely Bayonne, NJ.

Not so in my neighborhood in Tokyo. The way this pristine Jetta Wagon is parked represents a degree of trust that I'm not sure I could ever muster. I also suspect that a Gaijin couldn't pull this off. Maybe this guy is the local policeman, but I doubt it. Every time I walk by this scene, on my way to and from the station or the store, I am amazed, I am confounded and I want to giggle.

1 comment:

Posegates said...

You forgot to say that the car would then be dumped into the East River at the owner's expense after three days in Bayonne...