Friday, April 24, 2009

I am AAA


This is a short story that I just have to tell that expresses my continued amazement and gratitude for technology. My son Nathan is driving with a friend across the country to see some of the country, hike in some of the National Parks out West, visit with some friends he met in New Zealand and stop by a college to which he wants to apply.

He has encountered some car trouble. The check engine light came on, and he said the car made a funny noise. Uh oh. So, Nathan, being the responsible young man that he is, pulled into a garage where someone told him he needed a new alternator, and charged his dead battery so they could get on their way. That's when technology came into play. He dialed my Skype-out number from his cell phone and called me. Since I was logged on to my computer, it rang and I answered. Yes, I answered my computer. I could hear the sound of trucks and cars roaring by...my heart sank. I was certain that he was broken down along the side of a highway somewhere. Nope. He was at a repair shop. He had been told by someone that he would have a hard time finding a repair shop or dealership that would be able to service his Turbo Diesel Bug. I'm guessing the car of choice (and I'm generalizing here-forgive me) in Arkansas is a big 'ol Ford pickup. Real American cars. So I sprang into action! I found a couple of places on line in their intended path, gathered phone numbers, addresses and directions for Nate and called him back from my computer to his cell. From Tokyo to somewhere in Arkansas. 10 years ago this would not have been possible. I am AAA.

Here are some other ways Skype and it's services have made it possible to remain connected to my family and friends over the last 2 years.

I attended Chris' 21st birthday party at Sarah's. I was on their big screen TV in their living room, bigger than life, able to see everyone in the room. I had a chance to "help" blow out Chris' candles and chat with dear friends.

I had dinner with the Posegates one evening. My face was on their dining room table. I chatted, laughed and shared in the meal-time experience, all except the ability to pass the salad dressing.

I was able to talk face to face with my sleepless troubled friend one afternoon here when it was about 4:00 in the morning in NY.

Once while hiking the Taughannock rim trail with friends, Robin called my US cell phone from a high speed train in Japan.

I have been able to talk to Cathryn while she's been on the road to recovery, and in and out of hospitals. Me in Tokyo, she in her hospital bed.

I have had the opportunity to chat on line with Chris, Matt, Joel, Peter, bara, Sarah, Ford, Kelsey, Claire...you get the idea. Some of my former students have contacted me just to say HI. Others have poured their hearts out. I was able to be there to "listen."

The world is shrinking. I am so grateful to be here in Japan at this time in history, to be able to keep the threads that connect us all in tact. It makes it a little easier to be able to say sayonara to my fantastic new friends here. Because don't you know we'll be staying in touch through Face book!

Here's a slogan:
Technology means never having to say "Goodbye."

No comments: