Monday, April 20, 2009

Oliver!



This is my good friend Charlie, Oliver! cast member and tenor extraordinaire. We're just hanging out at rehearsal...



I haven't posted a blog entry lately because I have been doing rather mundane things- over and over. Mostly, helping to run Oliver! rehearsals with the Tokyo International Players. Not really a very Japanese experience, but an experience unique to my life here in Japan nonetheless. I am working with a Kiwi, Aussies, Brits, Canadians, Americans, a Czech National and Japanese. It's a wonderful rainbow of ages, talents, nationalities and personalities. I am enjoying all of them immensely.

I started this rehearsal process in September 2008 with the audition of children for the parts of Oliver, Dodger and the children's chorus. I have been working with the children for all these months. Note to self: Don't ever again work on a show for more months than it took to gestate my babies! I will be glad when it's over.

The cast is working very hard at singing, dancing, acting, blocking and finally- running acts. 4 days a week are usually involved with rehearsals, although for me, I've had several weeks where I've had something to do with Oliver! every day. Most nights, some afternoons and all day on Saturday and Sunday.

One of the cast members is creating a blog to document some of the rehearsal process. You can see pics of me and the kids, and other cast members by going to:

http://tip2009.wordpress.com/

You can paste that address in your search window...and go to it to see the fun.

The latest good news concerning this show. Mika, a fine pianist has agreed enthusiastically to be our show and rehearsal accompanist, so now I can listen and do my job of choral directing, instead of bashing out the score for all to sing to. I told Robin last night that I had, "found my Russell." It has taken the pressure off greatly. Unfortunately though, since the musicians will be off stage right, I declined to play with them, as I can't have my eyes and ears in 2 places at once. So when production week rolls around, once the singers are warmed up and ready to go, I will be rather superfluous. This will be a new thing for me. 'Spose they'll save a seat for me in the theatre?

No comments: