Thursday, June 18, 2009

Jet lag at the frat house


I have discovered the quick cure for jet lag! The trick is this: come home to a house that is so dirty and messy that you spend the entire day and evening, (from sun-up to sun-down and beyond) scrubbing, sweeping, picking up, doing laundry, unpacking, dumping bad food, moving furniture and rugs, emptying the garbage and generally being active all day. It was like coming home to a frat house at the end of exam week. The boys insisted that they had been cleaning for a week. Egads, I'm glad I didn't surprise them by coming home early. I slept like a dead person last night, and for 7 hours straight. Today I have a light-headed feeling and occasionally find myself staring off into space with nothing on my mind. And a slight head ache. That's the jet lag. I guess it's still there.

I think my boys are happy to have me home. They are slightly less easy to read than my dog Macy, who is absolutely delighted to have me home. She follows me everywhere and plops at my feet whenever I sit. Such a sweet, calm and wonderful animal. She is a good watch dog. I feel very safe here with her always by my side.

Some friends just called me and asked what my dinner plans were. Now they are bringing over stuff and we will have an impromptu pot-luck. I really missed that kind of relaxed hanging with friends in Tokyo. I had just found a friend like that right before I left. Gotta go make a pasta salad and bake a pie!

1 comment:

Posegates said...

Welcome back Alice! Hope the jetlag doesn't linger too much longer...doesn't it feel good to get your house in order? Love that about summer.