Sunday, January 20, 2008

The International Quilt Show


Last Friday, a group of us went to the Tokyo Dome to view the International Quilt Show. The Tokyo Dome is a professional sports arena- especially, I guess for baseball, and it's HUGE. Half the field was covered in quilt displays, and the other half, vendors of all things related to quilts and quilting. I thought of my friends Polly G., Kaye T., Barb M., and Joan K. who love to quilt and wished they could have been there with us. My friends didn't know what to expect, but as soon as we got close enough to really see what was in store, excitement mounted. We were all stunned by the fabulous designs and magical use of colors and textures used to create these beautiful works of art. As I wandered around amongst the thousands of Japanese women, I noticed a trend. Many, many of them were uttering a word that sounded like "sugui" as they walked up to examine the quilts. Turns out, they shared my sentiment, because they were all exclaiming something similar to "WOW!"

No comments: