Monday, January 28, 2008

A View of Tokyo



On Sunday, our Ploss pod set out to find an aquarium. We were going to a part of the city called Ikebukuru. While walking through hoards of people, hearing people shouting at us to come into their stores for the latest deals, I really felt alien again. I won't get used to that, it seems. In addition, I am not a good crowd walker. There is a method to use when coming face to face with on coming traffic- a way to avoid the awkward "side step shuffle" dance, but I haven't figured it out yet. I am either crashing or dancing in the really busy pedestrian traffic. My favorite strategy is to get RIGHT BEHIND Robin, and follow him. I like to think of him as an ice breaker in the Arctic. I am just a tug boat, following in his wake.

We found the place. It was a nice aquarium, but not the biggest or best we've seen here. At one point while Matt and I were standing in a pretty tight crowd, looking into a tank of sea creatures, a little girl walked right in front of us, her eyes huge, looking at me the whole time, her head turning to keep me in her sights. Matt didn't miss a beat. He turned to me and said, "And yet Mom, YOU are the most interesting thing here." He makes me laugh so.

Before the aquarium, we found the observation floor and I took some pictures of the city. One of the pictures is of a very pale Mt. Fuji. It was slightly hazy, but one could still see it. Tokyo is vast. It goes on for as far as the eye can see. And it is really not separated much from other cities like Yokohama. It takes about an hour by train to get to Yokohama, but the cityscape outside the window doesn't really change much.


No comments: