Sunday, March 9, 2008

Breaking news

I don't know where they get these facts, but on the front page of the Asahi Shimbun, our English Paper- (a publication of the New York Times Herald Tribune) there was a little square announcing that the cherry blossoms will be blooming in Tokyo on March 27. I half expected to see "at 2:41 p.m." How do they know that? There are maps in the paper already showing peak cherry blossom viewing times in the different regions. It's a mania. It's like leaf-peeping in New England, but more fleeting. I hear that people get up in the early hours to stake out a spot under the cherry trees in the parks, leave their blue tarps or blankets there, so at lunch or tea time, they can sit in their claimed spot and enjoy. I promise, I will be taking pictures.
I hear it's spectacular!

Our next purchase...some outdoor furniture.

No comments: