Tuesday, March 11, 2008

JMart



Random, but exciting things have happened to me this week. It would seem pretty hum-drum at home. I have been deprived of such simple pleasures as shopping for things for the home with an actual car to take stuff back to my house. It's a huge thing. Our fearsome foursome went out to ASIJ on Tuesday morning by way of Connie's car, to hear Sean Covey speak about parenting teens. His talk was lackluster, but somewhat thought provoking. A lot of what he had to say is well founded in education...catch 'em doing good, affirm, build up, be a cheerleader, coach, teach by example.


The best part of the day was getting back into Connie's car and going to JMart. No kidding. I thought she was joking, and didn't pay much attention to the store front, but when I took my bags home and opened them up last evening, there is was: "JMart." I bought a bird feeder, bird seed, a rear basket for my bike, a bike bell (required here- I have been singing with my own voice, "ding!" when I need someone to move. Pretty nerdy, don't you think?) hand towels, a large wicker laundry basket, a shower curtain, a flower pot and stand, a kitchen utensil...you get the idea. I was in hog heaven.


I also took my camera to Taiko class to get some pictures of my friends there. We had a fabulous performance last week, and have been working on a new piece called "River" that involves fancy stick work, rapidly switching places with our partners, and changing drums. I am finding it really challenging, and am having the opportunity to fully explore my tendency toward klutzy un-coordination. In the picture: L-R, Jodie, Beth, Marne, and our beloved instructor, Moko. You can see the line up of our flat drums with towels on them to deaden the sound a little bit.

Right now there is a van parked in the driveway next door. I think it belongs to some kind of cleaning or interior maintenance service. I took a picture of it, because the name of the company is BEANS. A woman in my Taiko group told me that there is a business near her home that sports the name "Titty Twisters." We were speculating what exactly the business might be. This is Japan. It could be anything.


The other picture is the view of the Shinagawa area on my walk back from the Tokyo American Club. It is taken on a hill, at the top of some stairs, looking out over rooftops toward the skyscrapers. I always enjoy that feeling of being up above it all before I head back down to the station.

No comments: