Saturday, May 10, 2008

You never know who is watching...

This is a view from the Inage Station platform at about 9:10 p.m. I was there last evening waiting for the train to take me back into Tokyo after my choral rehearsal with the Chiba International Singers. It had been a long day. I had been at a FORUM rehearsal from noon to 5, and then traveled to Chiba for the 2-hour rehearsal for which I was responsible. The rehearsal for A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum had been frustrating. I was not playing well, and was tired and hungry. The second run through of the show started much better both for me and the actors, but then I had to leave. The rehearsal in Chiba was much much more enjoyable for me. The men and women in the Chiba choir work so hard, and obviously love to sing, and love being there together every Saturday night- sometimes for hours and hours. They are patient with me as I try to communicate a little in Japanese. And they have a sense of humor, which they showed me last night.

One of the men took a couple of my goofy pictures from the previous blog rant about my grey hair, and put them on a mock flier for the up-coming concert in October. It struck me completely funny, but was also a little embarrassing. I've always tried so hard to present my professional side to them. But I don't mind...I am still laughing about it this morning. You never know who is watching.

This picture was taken at the rehearsal earlier in the day. It's the scene right before intermission, when Miles Gloriosus (Ron Scott) is threatening Pseudolus (Jonathan Alan) with death, because Pseudolus, who is masquerading as Marcus Lycus, has failed to present him with his vigin bride. This group is also a delight to work with, but a very different type of group. Less predictable and disciplined than the Chiba Singers. And we are working toward very different final outcomes.

Of course, the show will all come together, but we are cutting it a little too close for my comfort. I still need to practice many hours before our opening on Thursday...I am not used to being the first chair pianist. Boy, do I miss Russell Posegate this week. :-)


No comments: