Friday, October 3, 2008

The cost of Fall and the gift of children

I now live in a land where a medium sized pumpkin costs 20 dollars and an 8 inch pot of chrysanthemums goes for 40 dollars. Can you imagine? No pumpkin carving for Halloween here, I fear. I noticed these prices with dismay as I stopped my bike at the corner florist on the way home from buying groceries. I was thinking about decorating, or at least putting out a pot of golden mums, but now I think I'll wait.

We have 2 of the cutest kids living next door now. Megan is 6 and Sean is 9. I might be giving Sean music lessons. He has a lot of musical aptitude and reminds me of Chris when he was that age. I would enjoy it I think. I have taken on another little younger boy named Colin who I think will be a challenge. He has a few more ants in his pants than the average 6 year old, I'm afraid. I'll try it for a few weeks and see how it goes. It is so great to be greeted by small children in front of the house. This morning during the VP debate, I heard knocking on my kitchen door. It was Megan with a picture she had drawn for me. Then later when I got home she ran to me, her eyes sparkling, her arms out. And then as she ran to her house, she yelled, "I love you!" to me. I'm not sure what I've done to earn this little one's love, but I'll gladly take it. It's a refreshing change from the somewhat buttoned-up adult expatriate community I currently navigate in.

Megan and Sean's bubbly noise and American child-like-ness is a reminder to me of who I am. Where I'm from. What I do. And eventually where I'll be next year. And that the "real" world contains toys, dog hair, school buses, soccer games, play dates and princesses.

No comments: