Sunday, November 9, 2008

International Incident


Yesterday, Robin and I went to a complex called Tokyo Midtown. It was a gray, drizzly, cool Sunday and we wanted get out and to do something new. We went to see the Picasso Exhibit, and to check out a car show. Not nearly as tame as it sounds though, because I practically caused an international incident when, after I exited the art exhibit, I waited a few minutes and then called Robin on his cell phone to see where he was. Turns out, he was still in the gallery, taking his time. With his cell phone on RING MODE. His ring tone is Stevie Ray Vaughan's Mary Had a Little Lamb, for those of you who care. When his phone went off, he was nearly tackled by 2 museum attendants who wanted to be sure he knew that talking on cell phones, ringing cell phones or cell phones in any form were strictly forbidden in the exhibit. I think I kind of ruined the second floor of the exhibit for him. He just felt too embarrassed to dilly-dally under the watchful eyes (and there were MANY) of the museum attendants. One has to wonder how they can keep so many mild-mannered, uniformed, white gloved smiling direction pointing and bowing attendants (who can also instantly tackle) on the payroll.

Then we came across a stage set up at the Tokyo Motor Show, and 2 guys were stepping up to perform. One was a pianist and the other was a hand whistle virtuoso. Hand whistling: you know, when you cup your hands together, and blow into one end and can make the sound of a mourning dove or an owl? This guy started with "When You Wish Upon a Star," and moved on to the Turkish March by Mozart, as well as others. I was really impressed by his speed, range and accuracy. I had never seen anything like it, and stood there, enraptured by it- with a big stupid grin on my face. I started looking at the faces of the others in the crowd. No one that I could see- I mean NO ONE else looked the least bit amused or entertained by this guy. Is there something wrong with me? Am I simple, or just easily amused, or are the Japanese who happened to be at Tokyo Midtown yesterday simply humorless, stressed out curmudgeons? What does it take to impress folks around here?

No comments: