Saturday, November 1, 2008

Unbelievable blue sky


I am back in Tokyo after a couple of very enjoyable weeks in Upstate NY. When I left on Thursday, it was snowing, grey and windy. Brrrr! Today in Tokyo the sky is clear blue, the temp is in the upper 60's and fabulous! Robin and I rode our bikes this morning to the amazing department store in Shibuya called "Tokyu Hands.'' I actually found sand paper, foam brushes, and varnish. I am going to sand and varnish my patio furniture. It took a very damp beating in the rain in July and August.

This afternoon, we took a short train ride out from the city toward a town called Kichijoji. Kichijoji is known for its' music clubs and seems to have a hair salon every 50 feet or so. There we wandered to the park where we enjoyed the water, shrines and little kids. I marvel at the very gentle way Japanese parents tend their little ones. They seem completely calm in the face of tantrums, and patiently let their little ones take the time to carefully explore something on the ground. I once saw a parent stand patiently by while their small child sat in the middle of a busy sidewalk.
We sat on a bench and watched amusedly the many paddle boats and rowboats bump and nearly bump into each other and get hung up on overhanging branches. I got a huge kick out of watching a guy struggling unsuccessfully to row one of the boats. I know I shouldn't generalize, but I made Robin laugh with the comment,"This is not a sea-faring people."

I am hoping that spending the day out in the sunshine will help with jet lag. But as I write this, my stomach is off, my head feels woozy and I am warm. That's jet lag. One just has to endure it.

No comments: