Sunday, February 21, 2010

May I shoot you?


When teaching Middle School choral music, it is crucial to have a way to happily motivate students. One tries to choose music that will motivate, to have a classroom that is welcoming and a fun place to be, but sometimes that's not enough. For the last 10 weeks, I have been awarding the ensembles by placing stickers on a chart. Each chorus earns points for behavior, posture, vowel shape, tone, great answers, observations, you name it, I reward it. Positive reinforcement is the only way to go. During the last period of competition the 5th and 6th grade groups TIED in first place. Too bad for me, as I find myself baking cookies for these sweet kids on a lovely Sunday morning. I promised them that the winners would get a cookie party.

The other great motivator I have is an air cannon. It is a plastic conical thing that shoots a big ball if air about 30 feet. I pull back a tightly stretched plastic diaphragm, and then let go and Bam! The kids LOVE LOVE LOVE to get shot by it. I am pretty stingy with it. If a student can define a musical term, or does something particularly outstanding, or is always focused, or whatever catches my attention on a particular day, I very seriously and apologetically look them in the eye and say something like, "I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to shoot you." Then a thrill runs through the group and there is great anticipation as I take aim, shoot and bombard the outstanding student with a puff of air that blasts their hair or their clothing. Kids BEG me to shoot them. I usually refuse. You have earn it in my class. Do these motivational techniques have anything at all to do with music? No. But in these days of instant gratification of iPods, video games, Smart Boards, and computers, I find a bit of randomness, unpredictability and home-baked goodness goes a long way.

Snickerdoodles
Chocolate Chips
Molasses Crinkles
Oatmeal Raisin

No comments: