Monday, September 22, 2008

Autumnal Equinox Festival



It's called Shubun No Hi. It's been going on for a couple of days, according to Nathan. I found out about it while he and I were in the living room today with the windows open. He heard the drums and the flute sound off in the distance and said, "There go the guys with no pants again!"

I questioned him about this, and apparently, he had seen several teams of people in their hapi coats, carrying shrines around the streets over the last 2 days. I was disappointed, because I really wanted to see these pantless guys and gals and get some photos to share. BTW: These shrine-carrying groups are not really pantless- I'm not sure why he called them that. Sometimes they wear short pants under their coats. Their coats match, as do their headbands.

A little later, as I was getting ready to ride my bike to the store for groceries, I heard drums and music up the street. I left my bike out front and wandered up to the next corner to take a look. Lo and behold, there was a parade made up mostly of very small children holding on to a rope and shouting together in rhythm. There were some old guys carrying and beating a taiko drum and others following carrying a small shrine. I suspect it was a pre-school event to mark the beginning of Fall. There were lots of moms and strollers as well.

Then this evening, I heard it again...I grabbed my camera even though it was almost dark out. This time down the street and around the first corner. What a beautiful sight! Adults, with a beautiful golden shrine, all lit up, were jiggling their way down the street toward me. I will tell you that the main difference between the kid and adult offering was the reek of alcohol from the team of carriers! I took a video of their approach and turn at the corner. I hope I can figure out how to post it here.

The Japanese love their seasons. Their celebrations are so colorful and so filled with joy.

No comments: