Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Singing in the rain and Oktoberfest

Today I met with 3 friends who are singers. There were 4 of us; myself, Terry, Regine, and Anna. We will form an SSAA quartet. I have ordered some music for us and I am using some of the music that my Tburg quartet used. I miss singing with Anne, Geri and Sally so much, I just had to create some kind of singing outlet. The very coolest thing is that our little Tokyo group represents 3 countries: France, Sweden and USA. It is going to be very enjoyable.

It started raining while we were at Terry's apartment. (We meet there because she has a "live" room to sing in AND a beautiful grand piano.) Anyway, as usual I didn't have my umbrella with me, so I got soaked on my way home. So soaked that my clothes were sticking to me, my hair was plastered to my face and water was dripping in my eyes. There were a couple of older women sitting on the steps at the National Electronics store by my station, waiting out the worst of it, and they chuckled at my approach. One of them smiled and tentatively offered me her umbrella. A very kind gesture, I thought. I laughed and said "No thank you." I think they thought I was nuts. It was delightful to walk in the rain, to get completely soaked and to feel unencumbered by social convention. (and umbrella!)

As soon as there is a suggestion of a sprinkle here, the Japanese open up their umbrellas- so many umbrellas, and such a variety. I think they are like cats in that they don't like to get wet. The scene at a major crossing during a rainy day is rather beautiful. It's a sea of umbrellas moving en masse, moving like some gigantic organic creature, and then slowly dissipating up and down the sidewalks. AND store keepers put them out on the street. You can buy a decent working umbrella here for about 3 dollars on a rainy day.

Then when I got home, I checked my email, to find a link from the Tokyo Gaijin Group to next week's Oktoberfest. So I clicked on the link, and there was an ad for the Asahi Oktoberfest in Hibiya Park. But it cracks me up...the pictures- Helga is there in lederhosen, along with others who look vaguely German. The poster is all in Japanese.

http://www.oktoberfest.jp/index.html

This is such an interesting multi-national city. It is becoming more and more so. I was talking with some friends the other day who were commenting on how rapidly things are changing in Japan. This will be a very different country in 10 years. I remember once when traveling was pretty new to Robin, he called from China. He wanted to tell me he was in Shanghai, in an Irish Pub, celebrating Oktoberfest with folks in lederhosen, drinking German beer and eating sausages. It is during those experiences when you must step back, look at where you are and think to yourself..."I must remember this. It may never happen again!"

No comments: