Sunday, September 21, 2008

Earthquake!

This morning at about 7:17, I was rudely roused from my slumber by an earthquake. It was a pretty hard bump. My eyes opened up enough to see our wall mirror bouncing around and to feel the hard shaking, followed by a rumble that faded away. It originated about 2o miles ESE of Tokyo, and about 34 miles deep. The closest one I've ever felt.

Just a few nights ago, I had been reading about earthquakes and had found several items on-line about the "Tokai Earthquake." Roughly translated, Tokai means...THE BIG ONE. Well, actually Tokai is a region, right under the Shizuoka Corning plant, that is an important active subduction zone. But you still can just call it BIG ONE. Do a Google search on "Tokai Earthquake" and see what you find. It's a little frightening. The government of Japan has been preparing for it, all the time while Tokyo has grown to become a megalopolis of millions of people. The damage and death estimates are staggering. Interestingly enough there is also speculation as to what the global economic repercussion would be. Yowza.

I just hope I'm not still here when it hits.

No comments: