Wednesday, May 13, 2009

China, here I come!


Today is important for a couple of reasons. I went back to the Chinese Embassy this morning to pick up my passport. I now have a 12 month entry permit to the People's Republic of China! Beth and I will go on the 20th for 6 days. It's really interesting going to the Chinese Embassy. There are at least 3 guys standing out front holding on to what appear to be extra long broom stick handles. At least that's the length and thickness of them. I know what they are for, and it makes me a little nervous thinking about going to a country that feels the need to arm its' Embassy Guards with whipping sticks. Robin says I should be nervous. And NOT to talk openly about "The 3 Ts" when in China. Can YOU name the 3 Ts? *(answer below)

Tonight is OPENING NIGHT for Tokyo International Players Oliver! It's been a long rehearsal process. Some of it has been wonderfully fun and some of it has been painfully frustrating. Always though, the people in the cast have been great. I have met the most lovely people from all over the world. What an opportunity for me. One I will never forget.

I have several cast members staying at the house this weekend, to save themselves having to ride trains late at night for long distances. Bill Sykes stayed here last Saturday night and proclaimed our house to be a 4 Star Hotel! I will have Mr. Sowerberry, the undertaker and one of Fagin's gang and his chorus member Mom here as well. I'm trying to stock up on breakfast items!

It is one of those glorious, low humidity days in Tokyo for which the song "Who Will Buy" was written. Let's hope lots of gaijin in Tokyo break their legs tonight!


*Tibet, Taiwan and Tienanmen Square.

No comments: