Wednesday, May 27, 2009

James Bond at the Forbidden City











I am usually pretty good at identifying famous voices when I hear them. So I was really amused when we went to the Forbidden City and I discovered that coming through my left ear by way of the English guide recording was the voice of Roger Moore, 007. At least I am fairly certain is was him. You see, when I came of age, he was James Bond, and for a long while I thought he was the ONE TRUE BOND. I know better now, or at least have seen all of them, and appreciate their different attributes. I actually think Roger Moore was a bit too stuffy and stilted as 007. But he has a marvelous voice.

When I was in Taiwan and became really fascinated with the little roof parades to nowhere, I asked our guide about the corner statues and she could only tell me that they imitated the roofs at the Forbidden City. Well, I was delighted when James Bond told me that there are always an uneven number of them, and the more statues there are, the more powerful the person for whom the building is built. So the Empress has maybe 7 or 9. The Emperor had eleven. It is most amusing to me that they are always led by that little dude riding a chicken. (Yes, James Bond confirmed that point for me!)
007 also described the whole culture of Imperial concubines. Families would send their girls, aged 12-17 or so, to the gate of the Forbidden City on certain days to be selected for duty. If they passed the test, they would become concubines to the Emperor, if not they would be wed to members of the Imperial Court. Details may be a bit foggy, as we were fading in the heat and with hunger, but I think one Emperor had 27 concubines, and another actually died from over-indulgence of concubines. (Or so the legend goes...)I say, it served him right.

The Forbidden City is impressive, and tells the fascinating story of Imperial China, but there are far more beautiful places in Japan, in my opinion. Certainly better kept places. It was really crowded, it was hard to walk in tight places and very hot. We left after only seeing half the grounds in search of water, shade and lunch. To quote my son Matt...as far as the Forbidden city goes..."meh."

No comments: