Sunday, May 31, 2009

Going to the movies

It was a rainy steamy afternoon in Tokyo and we decided to go see Star Trek. No need to gush here, but it was fantastic! L.O.V.E.D. it. I watched the original series at 4:00 in the afternoon almost every day after school when it was on TV years ago.

We almost didn't find the theater in time, and after we got our tickets, it was still a bit of a mystery as to which door to go through, as there were 4 theater doors. We went into theater 1. I was skeptical. I looked around to see what kind of crowd was in the hall...there were many white haired and older people there. Very few foreigners and some younger people. I was quite nervous that we were in the wrong place. Being functionally illiterate is a real annoyance sometimes. I expressed my doubts as to our being in the right place.

But we were! I was kind of surprised at the movie goers in the crowd, but by now nothing in Japan should really surprise me! After the movie, while washing my hands in the ladies' room...a friendly woman spoke to me in Japanese. I am pretty sure she said something like,
"That was a great movie, wasn't it?" Her eyes were smiling and she looked really happy. I should have said "You bet!" But because I wasn't completely sure, I used my default response, "I'm so sorry, I don't understand."

What fun. Star Trek with Japanese sub-titles. It was like coming home.

No comments: