Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Impressions of China



This is the antique market we visited on Sunday morning. I got my first taste of haggling, mostly as a witness, as Anna D. did all the negotiating.

The first and most stunning thing about being in China is that I was not able to blog. I was unable to access blogspot.com. I was also unable to view links people sent me to youtube and comedy central. Ponder that for a few moments. Beth and I discussed two kinds of freedom. Freedom with a capital "F" and freedom with a small "f." I was acutely aware of the lack of Freedom, and the presence of freedom.

Although the Chinese people lack some of the Freedoms we take for granted; the freedom to blog, free speech, to gather and protest, and even choose where they will live in some situations, they seemed very comfortable in their skin. I commented to Beth how the dumpling chefs and the chefs in the kitchens carving our Peking Duck were laughing, talking and enjoying themselves while they worked. People on the streets were playing cards, large groups were doing Tai Chi in public spaces. People were singing everywhere: we heard singers on the street, we had a cab driver sing, (more to himself than to us). I heard a museum guard sing...unhappy people don't spontaneously break into song. Overall, people we met were friendly and helpful. Our young female guides were delightful. And fun. People seemed more connected to each other there than in Japan or the US. Maybe that's because their numbers are so great. There are 16 (I think) districts of Beijing and it's total land area is as big as half of Taiwan.

I longed for clear Buddha-blue skies and clean air while I was there. When I woke up Sunday morning in Shanghai, my eyelids were yellow and swollen. My throat was burning and my eyes itching. People are coughing and hacking up gobs all over the streets. But in spite of the really dismal air quality, the birds in Shanghai were jubilant this morning. There was a symphony of different bird songs from the familiar to the exotic. Please don't tell them they live in a filthy, crumbling and poisoned environment. I think it might spoil their song. Along with the people, let them remain undaunted.

No comments: