Monday, May 4, 2009

Taipei




The night was short and the morning seemed to come extra early. This morning when we looked out the window, we could see Taipei 101 right outside our hotel. Taipei 101 has the distinction of being the tallest building in the world. So tall in fact that the top of it was shrouded in clouds this morning. I think the conception for the building was to be pagoda-like, but I think it looks like a segmented cockroach leg. The years of living in Houston taught me what cockroach legs looked like.

Anyway. First stop on our Monday in Taiwan: the Chaing Kai-shek Memorial Hall. On the way, we had a cab driver who, when he found out where we were from, ran down the list of places in the US he's been. It was long. He's seen more of my country than I have! He cheerfully dropped us at the massive gate to the memorial and it was impressive. There was a huge expanse of open space, gardens and gorgeous grand buildings. The 3 sides of the sizable area held The National Theatre, The National Music Hall and the Memorial Building. It reminded me a little of the Jefferson Memorial only in that a giant Chaing Kai-shek was sitting, smiling down on the people of Taiwan. Much like Lincoln, (I stand corrected!- that's who I was seeing in my mind- not Jefferson. Duh) who actually isn't smiling, most likely due to the Civil War.

It was an impressive display of Chinese architecture and very well maintained.

We then went to the National Palace Museum where the very best things I saw were blue and white porcelain pieces from the various dynasty periods; plates, bowls, platters, tea pots, vases, and urns. I loved it. Gorgeous stuff that filled me with glee. Don't ask me why, but I have had an affinity for cobalt blue and white porcelain for as long as I can remember. This exhibit was like a fun house for me. Like Christmas morning! Like my birthday!

Then it was off to lunch. I have to comment that there is an odor that keeps wafting over me here. It reminds me of public restrooms, and especially of bus bathrooms. That urine + air freshener smell. But I've been smelling it in odd places, like hotel lobbies, restaurants, taxi cabs. I was beginning to think they have a serious public problem here, but I suspect it may be a cleaner they use. Or something I just don't recognize. I don't know. I'm trying to ignore it.

We had a Thai lunch and then went to the observatory at the top of Taipei 101. It was still pretty cloudy and smoggy, so it wasn't great, but the height was impressive. Just to give you an idea, for those of you who have visited us, we were about twice as high as the Mori Tower observatory at Roppongi Hills. Taipei is surrounded by green tree-covered mountains and I can imagine that on a clear sunny day (Robin says there are only about 20 of those a year, due to poor air quality) the view is staggeringly beautiful.

The high speed rail system in Taiwan was designed and built by the same company that created it in Japan. So the train ride from Taipei to Taichung felt very familiar and comfortable. And extremely fast! Top speed today was 268 kilometers per hour. We were flying.

The big push today was to get to the hotel in Taichung by sunset to watch the bats come out and swoop about, eating bugs, from the comfortable location of the roof hot tub. This is one of Robin's favorite Taichung pastimes. We missed the bats, but caught the moon. It was unobstructed completely in a clear dark blue sky. I think that must be one of the things I miss the most when living in Tokyo. Feeling connected to the moon and planets and having an unobstructed view of the night sky. It was a great way to relax after a long day of walking and traveling, soaking up both the warm water and the lovely sight of the moon.

Of course we always talk about the boys and what they are doing. I guess I will always wish they were with us when we travel. We've had some great trips as a family.

My general impression of Taiwan is that it is very laid back. Easy going, English speaking, they drive on the right hand side of the road, they wear comfortable shoes. You get the idea. People talk and laugh out loud in public here- like when waiting in line for an elevator. It is nice to be surrounded by happy relaxed people. After a while, the stony silent face that the Japanese wear in public while commuting especially is hard to bear. The noisy people today were a relief for me.

Tomorrow Robin goes off to work, and I will take a tour of Sun Moon Lake. Stay tuned!

1 comment:

YoyogiBear said...

I think you meant to say Lincoln memorial, not Jefferson.